my ketogenic diet and IF journal

Previous topic - Next topic

diehardpatriot

Watching NEOVs videos (i highly recommend everyone on this forum to watch them), and talking to him has opened my eyes. I have had peyronies my whole life. I have had what neov calls "pre peyronies symptoms" since I became sexually active. Although not painful, I have always had a bend. An injury 9 months ago has left me with some scarring. Additionally an injection from a doctor has left me with pain and inflammation for weeks which I am still dealing with. It's very obvious that my penis is very prone to inflammation. This, and the discovery that I had grandparents from both my Father's and Mother's side has shown me this may be a metabolic issue. So, i will go balls out with ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, and abstinence. Take me and the others on the forum trying this as guinea pigs. I will be logging in this journal weekly. Below will be links on info for the ketogenic diet for peyronies and intermittent fasting

Ketogenic diet for peyronies by our own NEOV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0oafzSApw

Intermittent fasting and how it does NOT cause muscle loss by DR Berg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_q8WqiK1AQ&t=33s

Ketogenic diet + Intermittent fasting (what i am doing) by DR Berg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyFVWwzgJI&t=19s
Penis injury in late 2017. A lump formed at injury site that caused no deformity, just pain and a palpable lump. Pain is improving through proper rest and use, diet, and mindfulness. I am always learning and looking to share things that have helped.

suicidecomingsoon

diehardpatriot

Nonsense ? Have you even read the research? You say it is non sense but at least give a rational argument. What is non sense is how I have scar tissue in my penis that was caused by NO injury at all. There is obviously a cause that is auto immune or metabolic. To deny that is non sense.  
Penis injury in late 2017. A lump formed at injury site that caused no deformity, just pain and a palpable lump. Pain is improving through proper rest and use, diet, and mindfulness. I am always learning and looking to share things that have helped.

Gabriel

suicidecomingsoon, please realize that with that usual kind of answer, you're not helping anyone, and, especially, you're not helping yourself.

Yes, research shows some motives of hope here and there, particularly about ketogenic diet. Moreover, anecdotical evidences and histories of reliable persons here show that this diet, or many other kind of means, can actually help improve our condition a lot; the only parameter is to always keep on trying, experiencing, testing and maybe re-testing again this and that.

I know you have been through a lot, and tried many things that did not help you so far. But please, man, always perseverate, always keep on trying or planning or trying new approaches, don't condemn a proposition if you are not 100,00% sure it won't work for one. I'm not asking you to "keep hope", which is hard and in some way does not have so much to do with the process, just to stay mentally and physically the more active possible about this condition, for you and for others. This way, and only this way, we will steadily and collectively improve our chances to victoriously get over it.

Cheers mate, stay strong!

PS: diehardpatriot, great idea of yours, I will read your diary with a lot of attention and pleasure!!!

- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.

jj21

Thanks for doing this.. Really looking forward to seeing your results, could benefit all of us.

JJ
34 Years Old...Peyronies for 4 years. 20 Degree left and upwards curvature, major dents and narrowing, ED.

Implant + Tunica Expansion Procedure, 7th Feb 2023, Titan 22cm +1cm RTE, Partial revision 27th June 23 (fix pump, remove 10ml reservoir).

skunkworks

@suicidecomingsoon

There is science to this. If you'd read any of the linked studies in any of the recent diet threads, you'd realise this.

I would have thought someone suffering so much with Peyronie's would by necessity keep an open mind about possible treatment options, especially those where the underlying science has been posted about many times.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

Bubba dawg

I read studies where gamma e vitamin was good for you. So I bought it . Then I started having chest tightening symptoms. Asthma symptoms. Chest felt like it had a weight on it. So I did some more research.  A study of over 4000 people showed a loss of 15 to 25% loss of lung capacity. Asthma! I was not swayed because I had the symptoms before trying the gamma e. Lessened learned? Studies won't ensure that you personally will not be helped or harmed by a product or diet or.......luckily I went back to normal when I started back with alpha e. I just wasted more money. Anybody want a mostly full bottle of gamma e? Haha. I have bought a whole lot of stuff that has been proven to work. Now in a landfill somewhere. My money down the drain. I haven't given up. Keep on looking for that magic pill or food. This diet may work for some. May harm others. We are desperate for a solution. Bad position  to be in. Costly position
5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

diehardpatriot

Quote from: Bubba dawg on December 14, 2018, 06:25:56 AM
Keep on looking for that magic pill or food. This diet may work for some. May harm others. We are desperate for a solution. Bad position  to be in. Costly position

this diet is not harmful at all. At the worst case scenario anyone who does this will be a more healthy person. I've been on this diet for some weeks already and I've lost 6 pounds of pure fat. I pretty much have no love handles now. Isn't that what we agree on as a forum? Make yourself more healthy to put yourself in optimum healing position? In your case, you simply did not do enovih research on the gamma e before buying. I've looked for bad things about keto before I tried and have found nothing that hasn't been deemed a myth. I do ageee however that we are desperate, if we weren't we wouldn't go as far as changing the diet. The good thing is that I'm trying to gain muscle anyway and this helps me clear my pain and gain muscle I will be forever grateful  

diehardpatriot

JJ & Gabriel: thanks! I'm glad there is interest in my progress, gives me motivation to stay strict with it.

Skunkworks: yes there's a science, I think people on this forum have been through so many different verisions of snake oil they are become closed minded. Understandably though.

Anyone know how long it takes for the cells to un mutate and rebuild themselves on keto? That's when the real Peyronies benefits come, according to what I've read and heard so far .  

JS1991

Patriot, In terms of having cells "un mutate and rebuild themselves," this is autophagy, and it kicks in while fasting. Keto makes this happen quicker because you are already in ketosis so the switch is effortless (fasting is pure ketosis, in fact you can do a 48 hour fast to cure/accustom yourself of/to keto flu). So, essentially if you are already in ketosis it should happen after the 12 hour mark, if I recall correctly. This is why if you are going to do intermittent fasting, keto is probably the best diet to be on for autophagy.. although I've heard of someone eating 95g of carbs in their one meal a day and still pissing ketones.

Once you eat the first bite of food, you break your fast and by extension stop autophagy, which only turns back on when you've gone 12 hours or so again without eating anything. So, to give autophagy more time to heal your body, you would have to do an extended water fast. Ultimately, there is dry fasting which induces autophagy at a rate of 3x faster than water. This must be approached with extreme caution and only done by those experienced with fasting. However, aggressive dry fasting if done right has been used to "cure" a woman's cancer: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcb1TCjF1xj/ among other things. Apparently it also heals cavities and eats loose skin. Take that how you want; the science behind it is solid, and in theory they should be correct.  This is why I follow the "snake diet" which is just a guide to extended water/dry fasting (snake juice is just electrolyte water that does not break fast). There is no better way to achieve autophagy then his program. If you don't have the fat on you to fast you can literally overeat calories, pack some fat on you, and then fast. People have done it.

Regardless, this is a fascinating journey you are on, and an important one for the forum. I will be following this post for sure!

Edit:

Here is the only instance outside this forum that I've been able to find of Peyronie's being helped via autophagy: https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/autophagy-and-scar-tissue/58712/6 ... scroll down to user "GentleBen" towards the bottom. Attributes it to serrapeptase, but mentions "I have also assumed several different fasting regimens IF and EF and OMAD." I'm going to attribute that to autophagy, given extensive failed experimentation with serrapeptase by this forum.

Also, member "RD" of our own forum who cured himself via stem cells mentions that he began eating clean and doing intermittent fasting in the year or two prior to his "cured" post. This, in my opinion, could have and probably did greatly help his situation with Peyronie's.
'
The holy grail of Peyronie's treatment would be to dissolve and restructure tissue at the molecular level. This is the best chance we have of doing just that in my opinion, at least until tissue engineering becomes mainstream.

Disclaimer: Do not try extended fasting if you don't know what you're doing. If you eat a caloric deficit, you starve. If you don't have fat on you, you will starve. You must be in a constant state of fasted ketosis with fat on you to burn for things to go smoothly. You also require electrolytes, etc.
Do your homework before attempting a prolonged fast. JS1991 Timeline - Peyronies Society Forums (updated)

NeoV

Autophagy is very different than the idea of keto / fasting for Peyronie's to correct the root problem.

The real benefit of keto / fasting is lower tgf-beta, un-mutated mitochondria, less ROS, less fibrosis, and turning off a multitude of pro-fibrotic factors as well as the Wnt pathway which Peyronie's sufferers have an excess of. The Wnt pathway is activated by glucose. In the case of Peyronie's, we do not have one part of the penis "healthy" while the scar is purely "scar," rather the entire penis is a spectrum of bad health with the scarring being the worst part of it. This means that under and around the scar is likely inflamed and hypoxic tissue (pre-fibrotic). A low insulin diet can restore the health of your penis around the scar, so the scar has little reason to stay around, and your healthy tissue can "remodel" your penis.

My hypothesis since over a year ago is that peyronie's is metabolic, beginning at the mitochondrial and DNA level, which is pretty well backed up by research on the disease and fibrosis in general. Autophagy is a separate idea, although a very cool one that is surely important for human health. However, I suppose autophagy can be used to refer to a lot of different functions of the body when glucose or just calories are restricted.

JS1991

Neo, I'm aware that high insulin is terrible for our disease, among other dietary factors influenced by carbs and sugar. So, I should add that in addition to fasting, cutting carbs and sugar is essential. In my opinion though, fasting, aka cutting out all intake of food, essentially has the exact same health effect, no? Fasting is the ultimate "elimination diet," for lack of a better term. And so the idea that I'm getting at is if you fast, then reintroduce the correct foods into your life, you gain maximum autophagy on top of addressing all of the underlying dietary issues and therefore get the benefits of both. After all, that is why IF is added to keto right? What I'm doing, in my opinion, is taking it as far as it can go. Regardless, both can and should be done!
Do your homework before attempting a prolonged fast. JS1991 Timeline - Peyronies Society Forums (updated)

skunkworks

Personally I think the mitochondrial benefits and autophagy work hand in hand. There is a reason why I saw significant structural benefit from fasting only after I had completely sorted my day to day diet out.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

diehardpatriot

JS and skunk: I agree. I am thinking of trying fasting for a day. If intermittent fasting is powerful that means a fast is even more powerful in theory. Now JS you said you must have enough fat or you will starve. Since I started keto I've lost a lot of fat. does that mean I will look sickly after?  

JS1991

Can you see your abs? What is your height and weight? If you can see your abs I would be careful but I don't think 1 day would be that bad. If you have a little fat there it should be no issue. Like I've said before, you can just overeat for a week, pack on 5-10 pounds, then fast it off if you want to. Just add a lot of bacon to your diet, that would do the trick and keep you keto.

You can also do one meal a day fasting but it would be a 2000+ calorie meal so keep that in mind. Literally just combine all of your meals into one. I suggest if you do this to piss onto ketone strips and keep track of where you're at, since it's way easier to stay in ketosis while on OMAD, or any fasting regimen. You can start upping your daily protein amounts slightly at this point and still stay in ketosis throughout the day. Just keep checking the strips and experiment with protein ratios.

diehardpatriot

JS: I gotta say I love your contributions the forum. Prompt replies and very helpful. All of you guys who participate regularly are a blessing. I am 18 years old, height 5'9 143lbs. I can't see my abs so I guess I have some fat. I have been doing a normal IF and keto  with two gigantic meals a day. I need keto strips though. I think I may have been overdoing it with the protein (I love steak and chicken and bacon).  Persoanlly I cant really do 1 meal a day. Especially because my goal is to put on muscle. I wouldn't be able to consume that many calories in one sitting. 2 is doable for me however. I will buy strips and watch my ketones more.

About the fasting. I will proceed with it as soon as I can. Probably starting with a 24 hour fast maybe this weekend. For now I will eat tons of fat.  

JS1991

This forum is definitely great, and I feel as though I've formed a bond with all of you. There is nothing I want more than to cure us all.

At 5'9", 143 you seem to be pretty lean, but everyone has a different build. Overdoing it with the protein may put you out of ketosis briefly, but in my opinion if you fast it will make up for it. The founder of the snake diet eats OMAD and competes professionally in powerlifting, so you should have no problem building muscle or downing 2000-2500 calories in a meal; load up with bacon and that will account for a lot of it lol. Also, you'd be surprised how much you can eat on a completely empty stomach. I'd say since you can not see your abs, you are in the clear to do a 24 hour fast with no issues. I'm obviously not an expert, so I'll link some videos for you as well.

Snake Diet Fasting Routine for Lean People: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZGP42olO8

How to Build Muscle While Fasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgr3L8nW4dQ

Edit: unrelated, but I've also adopted Cole's workout routine recently and it works extremely well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHfUB0QwI1I

jj21

Are you guys using myfitnesspal to track your macros? I found that beneficial in ensuring your body is is ketosis when you don't have keto sticks.

I know it's a lot more effort weighing and inputtin gyour food into an app but worth it sometimes.  
34 Years Old...Peyronies for 4 years. 20 Degree left and upwards curvature, major dents and narrowing, ED.

Implant + Tunica Expansion Procedure, 7th Feb 2023, Titan 22cm +1cm RTE, Partial revision 27th June 23 (fix pump, remove 10ml reservoir).

skunkworks

JS1991

Hey jj, I [personally don't use that, but when I eventually do count macros, I will keep that in mind, thanks. Currently I just use keto sticks.

diehardpatriot

JJ for my logging all my food on that app is a nuisance and too much work  

jj21

I guess the app is more for if you're trying to lose weight and gain muscle..

Good to hear some of you are finding improvements from this diet, i'm going to do it in a few months after my ultrasound.

JJ

diehardpatriot

JS: I may adopt that guys training routine  

JS1991

jj, no reason not to start now!

patriot, it works well for me! Before you start any serious weightlifting regimen, be sure to know what you're doing mainly in the form department. If you must, hire a personal trainer. You can and will hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

diehardpatriot

I hurt myself already. Learned that the hard way 2 years ago. Now I have messed up wrists . Hopefully a fasting lifestyle along with seeing a physio can sort that out.  

diehardpatriot

Anyway. It's  been a week
WEEK 1 KETO+IF+NOFAPNOSEX LOG

I've noticed I don't get as many weird painful sensations while flaccid. These have been greatly decreased.  My erect pain has also decreased ever so slightly. I have reduced to a 6 hour window eating 2 massive meals a day. I do not struggle to IF anymore. By feeding time i am ready to eat but am no longer starving by that time. I am still at 143 lbs. I am considering eventually graduating to one meal a day 3 hour feeding window and soon after planning on throwing in some 24 hour fasts in maybe once a week. I do not feel unhealthy, weak, anything people use to justify how fasting or IF is bad.  

jj21

Good to hear the update diehard.

Try getting some wrist wraps for your wrists - they help with wrist support when lifting weights.  

Gabriel

Great report man!!

I'm glad to read that, and I hope the decrease in pain continues steadily. We can have hope!!

About your feeding methods, just a piece of advice (I tried many, many things and am a firm IF believer): if you practice OMAD or more drastic stuff, do not forget to eat A GREAT LOT when the time comes: it is way much easier to enter a caloric deficit than what we and our body may think (and after a little time you'll start experiencieng bad physical and psychological effects), so you may have to force yourself a little sometimes :-).

Good luck, we're following you!
- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.

Cacogen

Quote from: NeoV on December 14, 2018, 10:25:48 PM
Autophagy is very different than the idea of keto / fasting for Peyronie's to correct the root problem.

The real benefit of keto / fasting is lower tgf-beta, un-mutated mitochondria, less ROS, less fibrosis, and turning off a multitude of pro-fibrotic factors as well as the Wnt pathway which Peyronie's sufferers have an excess of. The Wnt pathway is activated by glucose. ...

I would guess that the largest immediate effect of a ketogenic diet is in the inhibition of aerobic glycolysis. Active myofibroblasts have really high glucose uptake because they get energy via aerobic glycolysis, as do cancer cells (see: Warburg effect) -- rather than through the more efficient oxidative phosphorylation path. Usually a cell would only switch under low oxygen conditions, but it looks like this is something that happens in cells that proliferate rapidly, even in the presence of oxygen (hence *aerobic* glycolysis, which is otherwise anaerobic). Aerobic Glycolysis supports myofibroblasts and the process of fibroblast-to-myofibroblast transition. Ketosis must disrupt that, I would sure think.

While it does look like dietary ketosis helps, you might think it would have an even more dramatic effect, but glycolysis isn't the whole picture.

Glutaminolysis is Required for TGF-β1-Induced Myofibroblast Differentiation and Activation

"We have previously reported that the metabolic reprogramming in TGF-β1-differentiated myofibroblasts results from the upregulation of mitochondrial biogenesis and the expression of glycolytic enzymes such has hexokinase II (HKII)and 6-  phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-biphosphatase 3 (PFKFB3) (30,31).  In this study, we investigated the role of mitochondrial glutaminolysis in myofibroblast differentiation induced by TGF-β1. We found that TGF-β1 stimulates glutaminolysis through increasing GLS1 expression in myofibroblasts  and  that  TGF-β1-induced glutaminolysis regulates myofibroblast differentiation."

http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2017/12/08/jbc.RA117.000444.full.pdf

Glutaminolysis goes along with the aerobic glycolysis preference in myofibroblast differentiation, and post-differentiation myofibroblasts. It could be that glutaminolysis is an even better target than glycolysis -- TGF-β1-induced differentiation apparently can not happen without glutaminolysis. And then TGF-β1 upregulates the expression of glutaminase in myofibroblasts, which enables glutaminolysis.

Suppose one were to restrict aerobic glycolysis by starving cells of glucose (keto diet), and at the same time target glutaminolysis by inhibiting the glutaminase that's needed to convert glutamine to glutamate (don't think you can get rid of glutamine in the diet). Double-whammy, perhaps. Turns out a small molecule glutaminase inhibitor has recently been developed. CB-839 is currently in clinical trials for cancer -- because, like myofibroblasts, many cancers are dependant on glutamine:

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/intervention/glutaminase-inhibitor-cb-839

Glutaminolysis may also contribute to apoptosis resistance:

https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1165/rcmb.2018-0180OC?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Am_J_Respir_Cell_Mol_Biol_TrendMD_0

Then maybe you come in at the end and whack any stragglers with an inhibitor of anti-apoptotic proteins, like navitoclax or a related compound:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0945053X17304651?via%3Dihub

I do think we really are starting to see some pieces coming together, for totally shutting the process down, completely.

Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

diehardpatriot

Cacogen. Good post. Are you proposing the keto May not be enough ? When can we expect these medications to be available  

diehardpatriot

Gabriel; thank you ! Okay I'll eat a massive amount today during my OMAD.

Js: I do wear wrist wraps but I want it to heal. It's so annoying .

I just wanna thank y'all for the support it means the world and keep me going. I have not looked at porn in idk how long and I believe that is also a big help. Hopefully I keep seeing good progress only even if it is slow

JS1991

Definitely keep with NoFap. Fasting should help heal your wrists over time.

diehardpatriot

Hasn't been a week. But though this warranted an update. I've been having many elections the past few days and the pain and discomfort has been greatly reduced. Is it the abstinence or diet? Maybe both? Still have pain but minimal. Also, I cheated yesterday and definitely kicked myself out of ketosis but now Itsbtime to get back on the keto wagon. Makes me excited to start fasting.. hope everyone has had a good Christmas.

diehardpatriot

Hey guys. Been a little too long since an update. Still the same, no weird sensations while flaccid anymore. On the last update is when I was 2 weeks abstained and masturbstion was pretty much pain free. I masturbatwd again 6 days later to push the limits and I had a little more pain. After that 7 days later I had a wet dream so my penis hasn't really been able to rest. However pain still isn't distracting anymore.  

Gabriel

Hey Diehardpatriot,

This is awesome news mate!! I feel very happy for you :-). Thanks for updating us, it's each time a great hope for the ones of us who are willing to try serious keto!!

To my mind and from my experience, I'd say wet dreams are also very good signs by the way: they mean your vital penile functions are doing well, to the point that you can maintain a good erection and even ejaculate just by cerebral stiulation. So cool cool cool!

How would you describe your pain in erection now exactly? And compared to pre-keto?? This is REALLY the point I would like keto to solve !!

skunkworks

Good post @Cacogen, interesting read.

JS1991

I'm glad things are going well for you, patriot!

popopo

I'm at day 4 of intermittent fasting. I feel that I need to adjust to this diet, but I've been able to eat a lot in a 4 hour window and stick to coffee/water during daytime and late night. I'm pretty sure I'll lose fat on this diet and feel less weakness during my fast than the first day, but I'll keep it up a couple weeks first before I can tell what benefits I gain.
Date of onset: 17
Symptoms: sharp pains, numbness, change in shape/size, hourglassing and discolaration from jelqing/VED usage as a teen. Diagnosed with a venous leak and possible scarring.
Treatments tried: cialis, pentox and VED didnt help

JS1991

Drop the coffee while fasting, stick to water only. Also, make sure to get all the calories, vitamins and minerals necessary in your feeding window.

iamnotiam

i'm jumping onto this forum... i just made a long post on the Water fasting thread    Water fasting. - Peyronies Society Forums [Page 3]  

excerpt :  

"... then i would say that:

keto diet:  great for prevention, damage control and slight softening of plaques
water fasting:   induces autophagy, which seems to be able to reduce plaque size more considerably. .... "

would you all agree on this?    Also, if some of you have Erectile Dysfunction and if so does this diet help with it?   sorry if i'm repeating smtg already said, i read through a lot of posts quickly