UCLA Mens Center Dr Jessie Mills

Previous topic - Next topic

RB322288

Have been approved thru insurance with this doctor. Saw his YouTube videos and seemed impressive. ANYONE treated by him and recommended? Says he was part of the initial Trials and HAS done thousands of injections.

Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

BackandtotheLeft

I was. I get my first shot today if I decide to go ahead with it. Pretty nervous and can't find concrete answers as to whether Xiaflex is worth the risk or not. We'll see how it goes. I wish you all the best.
26 years old. Peyronies 30 degrees to the right/downward. Multiple dense plaques. First round of Xiaflex with Dr. Jesse Mills completed.

tonyode

RB32.....I watched Dr. Mills YouTube and was impressed. He seems very knowledgeable about peyronies. Looks to me that you are in good hands! Good luck!
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

RB322288

Thanks guys. Backandtotheleft I got my 1st shot on Dec 6th also. 2nd shot tomorrow the 10th.  We may have crossed paths there. Shot not painful but last 3 days painful and bruising but bareable. Painful nocturnal erections throughout the night are scary.  Not that impressed with the Mens Center or Doc Mills so far. Felt like a fast food operation at $10K a serving. Lobby full of us guys waiting for our 15 min and Dr Mills doesn't even look at the Ultrasound to verify where he feels the scar. He just feels around and does the injection.  I hope we are paying for more than just a nice view of the Pacific.
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
relationship status, etc

Bubba dawg

My experienced doctor was not all that scientific either. Just felt around and injected. Asking me where the bend is. Like wtf. Not building my confidence here doc. Some injections were more painful than others. Some days in between were more painful than others. Just was surprised the treatment wasnt more exacting. I wonder if there is anyway to show exactly where all the plaque is?
5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

tonyode

RB3...ya, that would be a little distressing going through it like that. I am scheduled for my first shot this Thursday. But I have already had two appointments with my doctor. He did thorough exams both times, second time was ultrasound, pictures, measurements, spent a great deal of time with me explaining all my options. He is the second Uro i saw. First one blew me off and told me to come back in 6 months. So I do feel confident with my current Uro who seems thorough and very knowledgeable about peyronies. Very nervous and hope it goes well! RB3...have you seen any improvement after your first shot?  
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

Bubba dawg

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

tonyode

It's done to check n see if there is any calcification. Also measurements are done for baseline data. Basically an evaluation to see if patients are a good candidate for xiaflex.  

Bubba dawg

Doc told me there was some calcification. Not sure how he could tell by feeling. May make a difference in the injection pain level. Trying to push the needle through that

tonyode

It definitely makes a difference from what I have read as well as what my doctor said. If there is too much calcification, I don't believe Xiaflex is the best option. Even by me feeling the plaque, mine seems very palpable. So I am hoping mine goes ok. Two days and counting.....

Bubba dawg

Yes I had some shots that felt like a hornet stung me. He said it because he had to push harder on the needle. Hope yours isn't like that Tony. I just seemed to hit a brick wall where the improvements were much less noticable. I could have sex so I ended it for now.  I still miss the days when it was perfectly straight. Keeping going is risking possible side effects xiaflex list. My groin does swell up and everything gets tight. Not sure if that is xiaflex or an enlarged prostate  

RB322288

Finished 1st series yesterday. Shots painless but mild pain bruising after 1st one. 2nd was 3 days later and a breeze eze. I think he got all the med into the plaque. No pain or bruising. Way to early for any changes. Talked about adding traction but he said up to me. I dont think he belives it makes a significant difference.  He said feel free to do the manual molding every time I pee and that would be as effective as traction and a whole lot easier. Bottom line if the injection doesn't hit the plaque traction or molding won't do a thing really. Unfortunately my insurance is changing at beginning of the year and he may not be in my network and I'll have to start all over with new doc and approvals. Im pissed!  
relationship status, etc

lmn25

Dr. Mills is fantastic -- he did my first round of Xiaflex a few months ago and that one round reduced my curve by at least 10 degrees if not more. I would not be concerned that he did not seem to rely on the ultrasound -- ultimately he has to be able to feel the plaque to properly inject it. I know everyone can have different experiences with doctors but I hope you'll feel more reassured after hearing mine. I moved away from LA and had to find a different doctor and I would give anything to have Dr. Mills still doing my injections -- the second round I had with another doctor barely did anything, and while I know that sometimes just happens with Xiaflex, I felt way less confident without Dr. Mills doing the injecting.
relationship status, etc
*** You will waste less time in both providing and getting answers ***

tonyode

RB3...I'm not insurance expert, but if you were approved for the 8 injections by your current insurance, I would think that it is already covered and you should be able to continue the shots?  

kingprof

Not seeing Dr. Mills, but my uro also did not use ultrasound or anything before injecting. He did an ultrasound during the initial assessment to see the plaque and determine whether it was calcified, but for the actual injection, he just just felt around. I point blank asked him, how do you know where to inject? I told him I don't know where it is unless I'm erect. His response was "that's because you only feel your penis, I've felt the penises of hundreds of men with Peyronie's"  :) OK, I might have to give it to him there.

I also identify with what RB32228 said about the painful nighttime erections. That was the one part I had not anticipated the first time around.

I have my 2nd round scheduled in early 01/2019.
58 yrs old, 45 degree bend to the left, noticed Peyronie's first in April, 2018. Three rounds of Xiaflex.

tonyode

KING....how did the first round go? Any improvement? I have my first shot today, this afternoon. I feel more calm today than I have. Hopefully it goes smoothly! My doc did the ultrasound a few weeks ago to just check if there was any calcification. I don't expect he will do it today as mine is easily felt. I find it odd that you cannot feel it when you are flaccid? My plaque is MUCH easier to feel/grab when I am flaccid compared to when I am erect. Although my indentation is quite obvious as mind is at the base of my penis.  

kingprof

Hi Tonyode,

I don't have any significant improvement from round 1 I'm sorry to say. I was hoping to be an honor-roll patient. I hope your first day goes well. I am not looking forward to round 2 to be honest. I have been religiously doing the stretching and bending (when erect) exercises recommend in the Xiaflex materials (and by my uro). He told me that he has done hundreds and he only had 1 patient get enough improvement from one round that they decided to forego additional rounds.  I told him he had no idea how much I wanted to be patient number two.  Hang in there, it's a tough couple days because he get your tissue "angry" and then you go back for another shot in the same place and then some vigorous manipulation. I can say that 3-4 days after it's over, I started to feel better. I didn't have much pain or discomfort at all during the day. The nighttime erections were by far the worst part for me (beside the actual injection).

All the best!
58 yrs old, 45 degree bend to the left, noticed Peyronie's first in April, 2018. Three rounds of Xiaflex.

tonyode

Thanks King! Well, did the first shot yesterday. Wasn't near as bad as my anxiety would lead me to believe. But definately wasn't a pleasant experience. Pain wasn't bad, just an uncomfortable ....situation. I think what threw me a little bit was where he inserted the needle. My plaque is at the base on my left side. Well, he went through the right side, clear through my penis, and into the backside of the plaque. I asked him why and he said he could better hold the plaque in place to get the needle in. So I am wrapped up. Hardly any pain last night but I did ice it for hours. This morning I am VERY tender in the area of the plaque. Tough to move around, walk or even sit, but its ok. I expected to have some of this. He told me to keep it wrapped for at least 24hrs or even longer if I can. Starting the stretching in two days. He is doing the second shot in a week. He said in his experience, its better to wait and heal up before doing the second shot.
Anyway..just glad its over. Didn't realize how much that anxiety was eating at me until I got home and was just exhausted. But overall, can't complain at this point.  

Bubba dawg

Glad it went well Tony! A week between shots? Xiaflex recommends within 4 days. Mine was usually 3 days between injections. He really shouldn't wait 5 days or more

tonyode

Actually, studies have been done and there is very little if no difference in the timing of doing it within 2-3 days or waiting a week. Here is a good youtube of a doctor about Xiaflex injections/peyronies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8BLsd3QF9o

kingprof

I'm glad it went reasonably well for you. You're right it's definitely not pleasant. I think every guy on here is with you on that.

I, like Bubba, am surprised by the long wait between injections. If you look here:

https://peyronies-disease.xiaflex.com/public/pdf/xiaflex-patient-roadmap.pdf

They say 1-3 days after the first injection is the second, then the in-office modeling. This was exactly what my URO did. However, I'm not a doctor, so I leave that to you and your doctor. I must say if the five day wait has no effect on efficacy, then I am envious. I ended up pretty bruised but only because it was so much insult to that sensitive tissue in a short period of time. I'm sure with that much "rest", it would have been much easier.

Again, best of luck. Glad that it was far less unpleasant than you anticipated.  

Bubba dawg

Makes sense because the sooner you get to modeling the better. Modeling is just as important as the medicine

tonyode

If you watch the youtube video of the Uro who spaces them a week, the results are almost exactly as the ones done spaced 2-3 days. The drug company is the one who recommends the 2-3 days. But they aren't always the ones on the front lines dealing with the the sore bruised and swollen penis. That was what the doctor said that can be difficult with the second injection being so close to the previous ones, that the swelling and bruising not only make it more painful, but it can be difficult for the doctor to do the injection and pinpoint the plaque. I have complete confidence in my doctor. He works for a major research university and has studied and trained for peyronies. He takes a great deal of time with me, explaining every detail. As I mentioned earlier, he did very thorough examination. Like anything else, every doctor is different in their approaches based on their own knowledge/success/failures. But I trust him. The Youtube video is worth the watch, very interesting as well as research results on Xiaflex with peyronies. Ok...heading for an ice pack and some ibuprofen as my sore appendage!  

Bubba dawg

The pain and swelling is gone in 2 days. You will find that out.I would get the injection on Thursday and mondays. Then not have any form of sex for 2 weeks. Waiting 2 week was rough much less 3 weeks. Now you have their hanging over your head. Then you have to wait for sex. I like to get things over with. The penis recovers pretty quick.  

kingprof

Hey, please don't misunderstand me Tony. I'm not questioning his competence or rationale. Like I said, I have no qualifications to say what he is doing isn't just as effective. He's the expert. And I'm certainly glad that you have a good relationship with him; that's important in this thing.

In fact, just emotionally speaking, I'm with your doctor. I would have liked a week off personally. :)  By the third day in a row, I'm telling you it took everything I could do to walk into that office. I remember thinking it would have been really nice to have this spaced out.

tonyode

Bubba...my doc told me no sexual activity for a month after my second shot! :(  Not sure I would really want to chance it before than. Not worth taking any chances in my opinion!

kingprof

My Dr. also told me two weeks. However, in this case your Dr.'s recommendation is in line with the Xiaflex materials which say 4 weeks. I actually started masturbating after two weeks but I personally did not feel up to sex after two weeks. I felt like I needed 4 to get to the point where I felt comfortable with sex.  

Bubba dawg

Well here is a real life study. I whacked 2 weeks to the day Haha. Really this is not an exact science that I know of. I just wanted to get things over with. Doc said no sex or whacking for 2 weeks. I did that with no problems. Now you doctor is following 2 different methods. One week and one month. I dont see how that will work because it will be time to get the shots again. You won't have sex for a long long time

tonyode

Bubba...shots spaced a week apart doesn't mean I have to wait to model. I can start that tomorrow. No sex for 4 weeks after 2nd shot. I don't return for 6 weeks. I have a two week window for sex. I love sex as much as anyone....but I'd like to think being cautious with this is the way to go. I'd rather error on side of caution than take a chance and end up in ER or something. Did u watch the video of the study? Sure made perfect sense to me. I think I'll go with my docters advice...an expert at a well known major unit who studies this disease.

BackandtotheLeft

I had my first shot this morning. Honestly so much different than I expected. Literally felt nothing going in, and nothing going out. It is perfectly normal right now, no pain or tenderness whatsoever, no bruising or swelling.

Does anybody's experience mirror this? It hasn't gotten hard yet, so maybe tonight I'll feel the pain everybody talks about. But so far, so great. The doc said the plaque was very noticeable as he injected, and that I'll be very pleased with the results, so here's hoping for the best.
26 years old. Peyronies 30 degrees to the right/downward. Multiple dense plaques. First round of Xiaflex with Dr. Jesse Mills completed.

kingprof

BackandtotheLeft,

I'm glad to hear that it was painless for you. That was not my experience. Did your URO apply topical lidocaine prior to the injection? Did he use a nerve block first, or did you go straight to the xiaflex?  My URO does nerve block without any topical lidocaine. The nerve block is not pleasant, i.e. it hurts and I usually have pain and swelling afterwards. Glad to hear you had a better experiences.

Bubba dawg

I dont see how sticking a needle in your penis cant be painful lol  Must have numbed it with something or you have a high pain threshold

BackandtotheLeft

It's honestly the strangest thing. Did not expect this at all.

@kingprof, I did self-administer a bit of topical lidocaine. But the penis was by no means numb. And @bubbadawg, I'm

Slept through the night with a rock hard erection, and there wasn't even a slight hint of pain. If anything, it was less painful than before the shot (erection pain is part of the reason I sought out Peyronies treatment). Not bruising, swelling, or pain whatsoever, when flaccid or hard. The only noticeable difference is the penis feels softer (in a good way) and more malleable (in a good way). It looks bigger flaccid than it did before the injection. Have not seen it erect yet, only felt it, and it felt better for sure. The stretching/modeling exercises are soothing and relaxing.

So obviously this leads me with one major question...

Why am I not having any negative consequences whatsoever?

Background on me. 25 years old, roughly 30 degree angle, slightly to the right and downward. I am certainly a more mild case, but had a very identifiable plaque according to the doctor. As he injected it, he noted being surprised by the density of the plaque, saying "you're gonna like how this turns out."

Dr. Mills comes across to me as an absolute seasoned pro who specializes in this, giving dozens of these injections a week. I saw his powerpoint online and had a gut feeling this was the guy for me. He was highly sensitive to my concerns, not pressuring me to do the injection, advising caution but also letting me know that any side effects I might experience would be short term, not permanent. The ultrasound I had a few months ago was merely a rough guide—yesterday he just played around with the penis, stretching it, twisting it, until he was confident in the spot he was injecting and then went for it. While some might be put off by this, to me it was reassuring—this is someone who knows what he's doing, and with the UCLA brand at stake, wouldn't be risking it if he didn't.

But while the doctor is clearly a key factor, what about me resulted in the flawless nature of the injection in relation to even his other patients? Not sure yet, as the next shot could certainly go far worse than this one. But if this is the norm and not the exception, here are my suspicions.

1. My erection pain suggests I am still in the late acute phase. Perhaps this is an ideal state to be in for Xiaflex treatment?

2. My curvature is mild. There was pain, it was fragile, there was hour glassing, and it curved right and downward, but it is not the right angle horror stories you see on here. Not yet, at least.

3. I am young. Most posters on here seem to be 40 or older. Perhaps I'm healing the sick rather than raising the dead.

4. I am taking the abstinence required very, very seriously. In fact, I went a step beyond, and made the proactive choice to abstain from any sex or masturbation for 100 days prior to my first injection. The hope was that perhaps my body would begin to naturally heal itself when given the chance, and towards the final 30 days of that period I noticed slight but undeniable improvements in my condition. Perhaps some of the horror stories are at least a partial result of people having sex or masturbating? And perhaps the waiting period the doctors advise is not conservative enough, and total abstention both before and after the shot is a factor towards allowing the Xiaflex to succeed? This is absolute speculation on my part, but I suspected that although my peyronies predisposition is genetic, masturbation and sex might be a strong contributing factor to my problem, and after being a monk for 100 days, I think I might be on to something.

I may consider stopping the treatment after the second or third cycle if I experience near-total improvement to minimize the risk. But we'll see what the doctor thinks, and how things develop.

Those are my thoughts. Perhaps I'll have a painful purple eggplant after the second shot, or during the second cycle, or beyond. But so far, so amazing.  

BackandtotheLeft

Shot #2!

Again—no swelling, no bruising, no pain. Absolutely seamless and painless so far.

Doc felt plaque and was surprised at how much it had softened already. Decided to inject a different plaque instead.

Says I'm gonna be thrilled with results. Also hinted he doesn't think I'll need to finish all four cycles.

All in all, this experience has been remarkable. The nurse says the internet narrative of the negativity is in large part due to people who succeed not caring enough to report their results. Additionally, the doctor matters. Mills is one of the initial study guys and knows his crap through and through. Don't do this injection from any old urologist who you had to persuade you had Peyronie's in the first place. Go to someone who specializes in this and cares about it. Dr. Mills is the best of the best, and I couldn't recommend him enough.  

Bubba dawg

Did your doctor bend and twist your dick until it was about to fall off? They have to do that to work the meds thoroughly into the plaque.  That causes a lot of bruising and swelling

BackandtotheLeft

Quote from: Bubba dawg on January 28, 2019, 05:54:29 PM
Did your doctor bend and twist your dick until it was about to fall off? They have to do that to work the meds thoroughly into the plaque.  That causes a lot of bruising and swelling

He does a fanning technique where he shifts the needle around while it's in the penis to disperse the solution through the plaque. Also did some bending and twisting. But it was honestly such a seamless experience. I almost didn't do it I was so concerned about being a horror story—so glad I did. The improvements already are staggering... I can tell the blood flow is greatly improved. Weeks from now I imagine things will be pretty fantastic. And this is only cycle 1!

Bubba dawg

That is great that you already notice some improvement. I had good luck with it. Hope you stay out of pain. I wish my doctor had a less painful technique.  

Hontas

Hello Dr Jesse Mills,

Is it really that hard to actually be a good doctor and earn your money, instead of creating fake accounts who tell us that getting injected in the penis was a seamless experience? Do you actually think you are smart or something?

BackandtotheLeft

Quote from: Hontas on January 31, 2019, 04:20:13 PM
Hello Dr Jesse Mills,

Is it really that hard to actually be a good doctor and earn your money, instead of creating fake accounts who tell us that getting injected in the penis was a seamless experience? Do you actually think you are smart or something?

Lol whatever dude. I'm just trying to help the community. Excuse me if my enthusiasm for getting my dick shot and having it in fact be a somewhat seamless experience comes across as shilling. No way to prove it without revealing my identity or my penis, so take it or leave it, but I'll be back in six weeks with my next update nonetheless for the people who actually want help deciding on a doctor.

BackandtotheLeft

Quote from: Bubba dawg on January 29, 2019, 02:58:38 AM
That is great that you already notice some improvement. I had good luck with it. Hope you stay out of pain. I wish my doctor had a less painful technique.

Thanks man. I did actually end up having a painful erection the first night with some bruising. But it was just one bad night of sleep... and in fact, it seemed like a good sign to me that something was happening. Can't wait to see how this all turns out, I'm very optimistic.

tonyode

Backnleft...you are lucky thus far! Count ur blessings. My first shot, although not to painful, did produce bruising and pain for a few days. But my second shot, although an uncomfortable feeling with a needle in the penis, I had no bruising and very little pain. It was a breeze. Had my third shot yesterday and it was more painful, but not ,to extreme. But I am extremely tender today and had some extreme stinging last night that woke me. No erection thank goodness! Hope things continue well for u!

Bubba dawg

That is what I went thought. Some injections were worse than others. Same with the aftermath. The really bad one was when he did it 2 times at once. Made me anxious about going back for more

tonyode

Had my 3rd injection Thursday and it has been the most painful to date. Not extreme, but certainly hurts with bruising covering most of my penis. Most painful area is my pubic area above my penis. Which seems odd as no injection in that area. Had a couple nocturnal erections last night. Lucky they woke me and I was able to ....well, deflate them before it got too hard...painful. Odd as I am one not to get nocturnal erections to often (maybe my age). But seems after I get injections I get them more. Who knew a penis could be so complicated! Ha!

Bubba dawg

You just cant have sex for 2 weeks. You can have erections. I had plenty of those 2. No way you can control erections in your sleep.  I had them in the daytime too. Just dont masturbate or and sex

BackandtotheLeft

Quote from: tonyode on February 01, 2019, 12:17:59 PM
Backnleft...you are lucky thus far! Count ur blessings. My first shot, although not to painful, did produce bruising and pain for a few days. But my second shot, although an uncomfortable feeling with a needle in the penis, I had no bruising and very little pain. It was a breeze. Had my third shot yesterday and it was more painful, but not ,to extreme. But I am extremely tender today and had some extreme stinging last night that woke me. No erection thank goodness! Hope things continue well for u!

Hey there—the second shot has resulted in bruising and tenderness and some painful erections. But honestly, it isn't bothering me one little bit. Because it feels like it's working. I'm committed to the celibacy 100% throughout the entire duration of the injection cycle, so I'm in no rush to get back to full capacity short term. I'm looking for a long term fix that will give me a lifetime of healthy, painless sex, and thus far it really seems like that's on track to happen. I'm noticing a fuller penis already—feeling very confident I'm going to emerge from this with most of my size back and painless erections. Maybe my age is a factor, and I'm catching this at the right time, but I also feel like the doctor really matters. After seeing three urologists who told me I didn't have Peyronie's, finding Dr. Mills who specializes in the treatment of it and identified the plaques immediately with no ultrasound has been a breath of fresh air. His injection technique was pretty sensational as well. I'm bringing him up in the context of this thread because he's based in LA, and doesn't seem to be talked about all that much on this forum, but may truly be one of the best there is at it. I feel like people are quick to complain about bad doctors that mess them up, but forget about drawing other's attention to doctors that helped them after they've been healed, so I want to make sure I pay it forward. I'm only a cycle in, but I couldn't recommend this doctor highly enough, and I feel really luck to have found both him and Xiaflex at this age to resolve this issue before it gets more severe down the road.  

tonyode

That's great news Back. Finding and having confidence in a doctor is huge with our issue, peyronies. I went to one uro who took about 10 entire minutes with me and told me to come back in 6 months. Wasn't good enough for me so I researched and found my current doc who have I have complete confidence in. Had third shot last week on Thursday and although it hasn't been horrible, it's been the most uncomfortable of the three. Pretty extreme bruising and still in some minor pain. Going back this Thursday for the 4th shot. Hoping it goes well!