Newbie with decisions

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyode

Hello all. So I am new to this forum as well as new to dealing with peyronies. I am 52yr old professional male, sexually active, good shape. Last spring was when I first noticed some pain in penis as well as lump. My is at my base of penis. Nothing in shaft area thus far. Pain increased and seemed to peak in July. Since then, still some pain during erections, but feel the lump/plaque has leveled out. Went to one urologist and felt like he blew me off, come back in 6 months. So I looked deeper and found another urologist at university who has been very good thus far. I just had an ultrasound and afterwards he presented the options to me. Xiaflex injections OR surgery. I have about a 55 degree bend at the base. He said I have a moderate case. A little indentation at base on side of penis. I was very anxious going to have ultrasound having to have injection to get me erect and all the testing. Wasn't so bad though. But reading over about the Xieflex injections, and chances of not working and the pain, I am wondering if surgery is way to go. He said surgery with the grafting has about a 95% success rate. But, it is surgery, much more invasive than injections. Anyway, good to be in a place where others have gone through or are experiencing this and reading up on things. Waiting to see if insurance will cover injections as they are extremely expensive.
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

Stabler

Welcome to the forum Tonyode,

You are in a good place for information and so far it sounds like you have found a good urologist, kudos to you for not listening to the first one you saw.

Injections vs surgery is going to need to be your call, Some have had good responses to injections where as you have read I'm sure, that others have not. There is also VED and Traction that can be done to help with the curve. Did the urologist prescribe Pentox for you since you have the plaque?

You will get good information on those who have done injection, surgery or both so if you have questions once they start posting do not hesitate to ask.

Stabler
Moderator since 2015- Missouri- I work in the medical field and have strong knowledge of insurance and how to obtain coverage for medication and other treatments. Being a woman I do not have Peyronies but you can ask me anything. I am happy to help.

Hawk

Welcome Tonyode,

Welcome to the forum. I hate it you have to be here but hopefully, you will find the information and support you need.  I am going to give you a link I refer to all new guys.  You might be beyond some of it but it is an important base to at least get you started.  Peyronies Survival Guide - Information for New Members - Peyronies Society Forums

Surgery is a very big decision and the biggest part of that decision is picking a very top notch surgeon.

From your post, I am guessing you have strong reliable erections since you did not mention ED.  Having ED along with Peyronies Disease greatly alters the approaches you might consider.

Hawk
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

tonyode

No, Pentox was not discussed at all. He seems good, knowledgeable and took time to go over everything in depth with me. He works for a major well known university and I did research before call his office. He isn't a fan off the traction. Said he knows many colleagues who have used traction devices compared to patients who do their own stretching, and that research has not shown one to be better than the other. But he said, things are my choice and he only is going to present the options, not tell me what to do. Thus the decision. He made the grafting surgery sound like its not a big deal, 6 week recovery and has a 95% success rate. But still, its surgery on a penis, which is obviously scary. Probably going to take a month before insurance gets back on approval or not for Xiaflex. So just trying to figure out best options. He seems very confident in his abilities in this area. Which I like.  
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

TDix

Please keep us updated if you get approved for Xiaflex.  I need a good success story!
47 yrs old, 3 yrs diagnosed
Xiaflex w/original uro resulted in a fracture
Excision/grafting by Dr Faysal Yafi 3/26/19
Implanted by Dr Yafi 8/11/20, Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE

tonyode

Yes, I still have strong erections. No erectile  dysfunction. He seems pretty top notch and very knowledgible. Spent a good deal of time with me covering all my options.  

Hawk

Can you share your doctor's name with us?  We discuss doctors often unlike some forums because we believe it is a critical part of your decision-making process.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

tonyode

Quote from: Hawk on November 01, 2018, 03:19:15 PM
Can you share your doctor's name with us?  We discuss doctors often unlike some forums because we believe it is a critical part of your decision-making process.

Dr. Lawrence Jenkins with The Ohio State University Urology.