AMS or Titan the age old question

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert1966

I'm looking have a graft and implant. The surgeon offered both the Titan and the AMS. I have small penis currently about 5 inches. I was originally going with Titan but as I'm having a graft I don't think I need the mechanical strength of the Titan. I'm now leaning towards the AMS as it may be more supple and more comfortable when deflated. The end of the day, both implants will do the same job when pumped up. I'm all ears to anyone who can help me in this very important decision
52 years old, Peyronies since 2015, 3 rounds of Xiaflex. Currently doing traction and VED, looking to get a Implant.

TonySa

Since you're having a graft I'm assuming he offered the CX.  There seems to be a consensus the AMS is more "natural" smaller or relaxed flaccid.  At least initially.  Also, with time it relaxes.  The Titan is definitely wider which many find to be an advantage for intercourse.  I don't think you can go wrong with either, in my opinion the doc installing it is the crucial factor.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Hawk

Robert, I agree with much of what TSanchez said.  There is no doubt that the AMS LGX 700 (if that is one of your options) is smaller and softer when deflated.  The Titan has a somewhat smaller pump with a little less blocky design.  It is true that the LGX does have less capacity for girth but if you are less than 5" in girth it likely has as much girth capacity and force that you need.  My guess is that if properly sized your ultimate length and girth will be the same.

A far more important factor than which implant is having a great surgeon and proper sizing.  Proper sizing means filling your cavernosa with inflatable implant rather than RTE's.

I am getting ready to post what I would look for in a surgeon.

Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Robert1966

I was having a beer with a mate and we were talking about the pro's and con's of each brand of Implant.  He actually put it a very good way, He said it was a bit like Goodyear's and Bridgestone's yes they're both tires but some will argue one is better than the other. Yet at the end of the day they do much the same thing.  He went on to say, I'm currently sitting with just steel rims not going anywhere so either brand would be better than what I currently have.  If in the future I want to change brand I can. I have to ensure they fit the correct size tire to the rim.    
52 years old, Peyronies since 2015, 3 rounds of Xiaflex. Currently doing traction and VED, looking to get a Implant.

Hawk

It is so true.  I hear men that are hung up on what hue of color your glans gets after an implant, or what if they lose 1/4 of an inch.  Meantime they can't get an erection.  They have a floppy noodle that cannot do the only thing a penis is made to do.  Guys get hung up on the absurd.  I know, because I do BUT I really am about convinced that just like I have never noticed which of a woman's breasts was the largest, or the shape size and texture of her nipples.  Women don't notice most of what we agonize over.  I am willing to bet I could turn my glans 180 degrees and most women would not key in on it until I brought it up including my wife who is a very active, involved sex partner.  :)    

Alibaba

Hello mate from down under, Robert1966.  My thought is if you are having a graft, why not go with the Titan? If you are having a graft, what difference would it make if the doc ads a little  graft or a lot to accommodate the larger girth. Girth is what many prefer anyway. Something else to keep in mind is the deflated Boston Scientific model may be softer and not have any dog ears at first like the Titan likely will, but, since the Titan maintains a larger girth, even when deflated, maybe that would help prevent the contracture of scar tissue that sometimes occurs with a graft?  Just a thought. The Titan cylinders do lose their stiffness over time but it does take time. My favorite part about the Coloplast brand is the much smaller pump size that has no square corners. Makes it a lot easier to get along with those two nuts residing on each side.  Best wishes no matter which you and your physician decide.  
Milam 1/13/16-LGX 21cm - BAD service & surgical outcome Hated infrapubic.
Kramer revision 3/1/17 Titan 22cm + 1.5 cm extenders

Robert1966

Thanks Alibaba, I do like the pump on the Titan first question what are "dog ears". I spoke to the surgeon to try the Titan without doing a graft first and to see if the hydraulic force is enough to pull the penis straight as if we can avoid the graft that would be great but he refused, I asked was it due to the angle being to great but I didn't really get a answer.  The surgeon does not recommend either brand just sat them on the desk and said which one do I want.  He is hard to talk to, his is no rude but you have to ask the question and he does answer it but not forthcoming with info, just keeps saying how great things will be. Mind you he did state that he does to most grafts with implant in Australia and I did find where he did or he was part of a worldwide survey into the number grafts with implant done around the world in a year.  The good thing with the Titan is you do pick up girth which is a bit like something for nothing. I spoke to another surgeon and he did say this bloke is a very good surgeon  

TonySa

How severe is your bend and do you have any hourglassing or narrowing as well,
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Hawk

Warren had a 45 degree bend resolved with a Titan.  I had a moderate dent that looked like someone pressed a teaspoon into play dough on the underside of the base of my penis that was gone the first time I inflated.

Alibaba

Quote from: Robert1966 link=topic=10807.msg101465#msg101465 d sate=1540175508
Thanks Alibaba, I do like the pump on the Titan first question what are "dog ears".

The Boston Scientific silicone brand cylinders just bend like a wet string when deflated. When NEW, the Coloplast tends to bend like a step ladder with clearly visible square corners in the cylinders and sometimes one of the folds will jut out looking like a folded over dogs ear.  Over time, the fabric softens up and does not do that any more. It took about 6 months for mine to stop doing that. If you look at the cylinders strait out of the package, never inflated, the  Boston Scientific one looks like a white opaque round tube slightly bigger around than a pencil. The Coloplast brand will be flat like a new pressed pair of slacks.  Over time the coloplast loses that pressed and ironed feel though it is very doubtful you would ever be able to deflate or want to deflate it to that flattend state anyway. Cheers man.  
Milam 1/13/16-LGX 21cm - BAD service & surgical outcome Hated infrapubic.
Kramer revision 3/1/17 Titan 22cm + 1.5 cm extenders

Pfract

That's encouraging to know hawk... Thanks for sharing that detail.  

warrenw

Quote from: Hawk on October 22, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
Warren had a 45 degree bend resolved with a Titan.
Yes, as a result of PC treatment, so not a longstanding condition. I literally thought the bend would be show stopper for an implant, but Dr Eid looked at my erection after trimix and said the bend would resolve completely with an implant, which it did both flaccid and erect.

I went to see Eid with a list of expectations for what I wanted (and didn't want) from the implant, but no preference for brand. After the exam he said my anatomy was suitable for either AMS or Coloplast but he generally preferred Coloplast in that situation. I asked that he use his best judgement during surgery and I got the Titan.

My advice on AMS vs Titan is spend your research time on selecting the surgeon and go with his recommendations. Pick a surgeon that uses both brands, not just AMS or just Coloplast, and doesn't depend on a company representative during surgery.

Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir