Questions on waterfasting

Previous topic - Next topic

bod

I've seen some people say waterfasting has cured them this is something i'm open to trying but just have a few questions to do this safely

How long?

Should you cease all exercise for this? (I usually go to the gym every other day)

Should I stop masturbation for the fast?

How do you function throughout the day? I'm in college will I be able to function in class?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks

NeoV

If you're in college with Peyronie's you shouldn't be masturbating AT ALL. Rest your penis for a month at least. Nobody knows, Peyronie's is a systemic complex problem. Exercising fasted is not wise unless you know what you're doing. Traction or VED can be continued of course.

Fasting speeds up callegen turn over and removes inflammation. It has never been studied on Peyronie's but it definitely helps as it also reduces insulin resistance and insulin levels which lead to fibrosis.

Everyone's Peyronie's is different. You're basically asking an impossible question and one that doesn't even matter, just do it and benefit! Always be careful.

TonySa

Not all agree masturbation aggravates peyronies unless done aggressively.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Paolo

Be very, very careful exercising in a water fasted state, your stress hormones will go through the roof!, recovery from exercise will be lengthened  :o
Paul
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

skunkworks

Any chance you have a link to info about that hand Paolo?
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

Paolo

My concern would be the 'down' regulation (perhaps permanently) of Thyroid, let me look into this further.

From my own perspective (I have an identical twin Brother) all I know is I have exercised hard for Years, and got Peyronie's, my twin has never exercised, and doesn't have it, hmmm  :-\ :-\

I will update when I find more on fasting combined with exercise.

After fasting you could end up with metabolic disease also.
Paul.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

JS1991

Do not exercise at all while water fasting. You will not burn any muscle until you have no fat left. You burn fat and old proteins (scar tissue, stretch marks, fibrosis) for fuel. As for as energy and hunger, from what I've read they seem to level out although you will be a bit fatigued, it doesn't seem to be too bad. As far as length, you can go as little as 7 days, but ideal seems to be 21-40 days according to my research. It really just depends on how much fat you have because once your body consumes it all, if you are still fasting you are in big trouble as you will start eating away at muscle including your heart whose walls will begin to thin out, as well as having hair fall out, essentially the effects of starvation. You are basically cheating that and stopping it before it happens by utilizing your fat to keep up autophagy for scar reduction as long as possible. Luckily you retain all muscle until that point. Just know that the most important thing is to BREAK YOUR FAST PROPERLY. Also to ease your way into it, if you do plan on doing it that is. Do some research my friend!
Do your homework before attempting a prolonged fast. JS1991 Timeline - Peyronies Society Forums (updated)

skunkworks

Quote from: JS1991 on October 09, 2018, 02:56:15 AM
Do not exercise at all while water fasting. You will not burn any muscle until you have no fat left. You burn fat and old proteins (scar tissue, stretch marks, fibrosis) for fuel.

Muscle loss in obese people fasting - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/13619987_Protein_fat_and_carbohydrate_requirements_during_starvation_Anaplerosis_and_cataplerosis

This article has broken it down into an easy graph - https://www.lifehack.org/389060/how-much-muscle-mass-can-you-lose-during-a-water-fast

What is the reasoning or evidence for no exercise during a fast. Exercise induces autophagy (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3463459/) and as exercise would also help preserve muscle mass, I'd need to see some solid evidence for why it is bad to exercise while fasting.

Quote from: Paolo on October 06, 2018, 03:56:40 AMAfter fasting you could end up with metabolic disease also.

Say what? Fasting cures metabolic disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24434756
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28407662
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0104423013000213
https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-nutr-071816-064634
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

bod

Thanks guys, I think i'my going to give it a shot and try 2 weeks starting next Monday till Halloween, I think Im on the leaner side. One worry is that i'm only 19 so hopefully that won't make it harmful, if I notice anything funny i'l'll stop immediately.

I'll research more in the meantime,

I'l'll rease

JS1991

skunkworks, What I say is based on anecdotal evidence from multiple reports of people doing water fasts but your articles are solid. My reasoning for not exercising is that you will be fatigued to begin with with no glucose and we are not doctors here. I am nervous to suggest long water fasts to users without them having medical oversight (even though I plan to do it on my own, that would be the responsible thing for me to do) and I assume exercise can only exacerbate any possible complications.
Do your homework before attempting a prolonged fast. JS1991 Timeline - Peyronies Society Forums (updated)

NeoV

Skunkworks said it,

Metabolic disease is CURED by fasting or keto.
Fasting or keto cause "physiological insulin resistance" but this is separate and natural.

If you eat BREAD after fasting, it will obviously hurt you and cause an extreme insulin response. This is because bread is not natural. Slaves eat bread, rice, and pasta, and in ancient china thousands of years ago they knew this. They practiced low carb diets because they knew it made you live longer, plain and simple. Our DNA and our bodies respond to what we did for the majority of our time on Earth, which is hunt and gather. Agriculture is new to the genome.

Autophagy is a nice BYPRODUCT of fasting but the reason fasting and keto work is because Peyronie's is a metabolic disease that begins in the mitochondria. In Duypuytren's plaques research has found glucose dysregulation (this year). Peyronie's is the same. Glucose sick mitochondria in the penis.

Each organ has it's own metabolic profile. Testing your blood for insulin resistance will not show anything. You have to test someone with Alzheimer's by checking their brain insulin resistance. The blood does not show it. People can have insulin resistance in their skin, their heart, and so on, and certainly the penis.

Fasting works on an inflammatory and mitochondrial level. Autophagy is a small and even minor aspect.

JS1991

Interesting thoughts Neo, I've absorbed all of the information you've given, thanks for sharing.

I have a theory that I'd like your thoughts on. I understand many cases of Peyronie's disease, such as yours, come up on their own as a result of, as you say, metabolic disease. There are links between this and Dupuytren's, which I know you've said runs in your family. I believe your father has it if I'm not mistaken. I myself do not have any history of any of this, and had absolutely no symptoms of Peyronie's up until my injury and if I had to bet on it I'd say I would never have gotten Peyronie's had I not injured myself.

So my question is: Do you believe that cases of Peyronie's caused by a sudden trauma are different at all to "inherited" or "predisposed" cases of Peyronie's? I believe you have a good grasp of your own problem, but I sometimes wonder if there can be differences when one's case of Peyronie's is caused by sudden trauma to the penis as opposed to naturally occuring metabolic disease.

Also, in terms of autophagy, I have read of stretch marks and scars completely disappearing over the course of long water fasts. We've had members on this forum have plaques literally shrink to the point of giving them back erectile function. So do you still believe that autophagy is a "small, minor" aspect of fasting? Regardless, fasting seems to have an effect. I personally have tendinosis in my shoulder, stomach issues and hard flaccid all of which have been reported to be helped by water fasting, which is why I plan on going through with it. If I get even slight improvement in any field mentioned, I will consider it a success.

bod

Hi guys i'm very I interested in trying this on Monday for 1-2 weeks, not just for my scar but I have very irritated and bad skin, other scars, my body really feels like it needs a detox and I'm kinda planning on resetting my life on November 1st so this will be a good spiritually.

However I have worries, for 1 i'm not fat, i can see abs although my legs, ass and face are quite chubby and is where most of my fat seems to go. In fact I don't have much muscle. Also i'm only 19 and don't want to damage any potential height growth

Does it matter if I just drink regular water? Distilled water seems like a hassle

Should I stop going to the gym? I'm hearing different opinions

Is it dangerous at my age?

TonySa

Hey bod, how about a low carb diet instead which is anti-inflammatory?  Neo, do you recommend low carb over fasting in most cases?
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

JS1991

Regular water is fine. If you have ANY adverse effects, stop immediately. 1-2 weeks doesn't seem too bad, but consider a test run of 1-3 days first. Consider easing the way you eat in the days leading up to the fast and make sure to break it properly. Consider going straight into a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting upon breaking your water fast. Curious to hear your results! Good luck.

Gabriel

@Tsanchez: I'm fasting and low-carbing; even if it's somehow a little tricky with the weekly carbs amount (beware of hidden carbs; find the right balance between approaching but not reaching ketosis (will make you feel terrible) AND staying too high), it works wonder on me and I don't feel particularly tired or anything. Still losing fat (approx 200-300g / week) but not muscle (2 weekly workouts, stable performances since 3 months).

@JS: can't wait to hear your detailled report on your fast either JS!!!
- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.

bod

Sorry guys but I'm going to cop out

I've been doing intermediat fasting for the last week and now the pain is gone, still bent looking but after reaserching it further I'd rather not water fast,  I'm fairly skinny as it is and I am still growing in height. Maybe l'll ty it in the future  

JS1991

Glad that your intermediate fast has helped with the pain! Hopefully you see some reduction/softening of plaques overtime as well.