How to psychologically cope with Peyronies?

Previous topic - Next topic

gungawotcho

Hey guys. Wasnt sure where to post this so I posted it here.

Im 23 yr old and have ventral and lateral peyronies both 45 degree for the past 7 years. Focal point is at the proximal penis. Saw Dr. Lue 2 weeks ago and am starting 4-6 months of traction + VED + pentoxyfilline + viagara + L-arginine.

This is always on my mind and its affecting my mental clarity under high pressure situations at the most important time in my life. I am a pre-medical student and just submitted my application to 35 different medical schools and am waiting to hear back from them. I scored 70 percentile on my MCAT 2 months ago. I am retaking it soon to score higher as many of the schools I applied to require a higher score. However, I think a big part of my reason for not scoring higher the first time is because I was literally thinking about peyronies disease during my MCAT! I couldnt get it out of my head no matter how hard I tried and it killed my efficiency in answering questions. Its crazy since they are totally unrelated things!

So I am looking for advice on how to manage this psychologically in the meantime so it doesnt screw me on my MCAT again. Even when I take practice exams it still creeps up, like a mental block. Should I see a psychologist? I just feel like even a psychologist wouldnt understand and I would be hesitant to share this with one.

I appreciate anyones help and was really hesitant to share this since it is such a sensitive topic. But everyone on here seems really supportive.

TonySa

Welcome, you're in the right place for support and in good hands w Dr Lue.   The resultant anxiety can impact areas of our lives such as studying and test taking.  Any anxiety reduction techniques you can use should help.  There are self help books and websites as well as psychologists or counselors who utilize cognitive behavioral therapy to reduce anxiety.  Usually 6-8 sessions is all that's needed.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

gungawotcho

Thank you so much. Per your advice I will be researching and seeing a psychologist this week. I will also look into anxiety reduction techniques and books.

Hawk

I realize you are a student and may have limited funds but this might be a situation that requires professional help. There are many resources out there.  The trick is to find a GOOD psychologist.  Beyond that just be aware that in the final analysis that you will overcome this even if it requires surgery (including implant surgery).  You are in the best hands you could be in so lay this aside for now, realizing that YOU ARE CURRENTLY DOING ALL THAT YOU CAN DO.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Gabriel

Hey gunga,

I realize I missed your post this summer. I do want to tell you this though: YES, seek and find a good psychologist, with patience, will, and hope. You'll find the one. I finally did after trying 3 or 4, and it just changed everything; the path was hard, but after one year I can tell you that, even if I used just like you to overthink about my Peyronie's in crucial moments (exams, jobs, pre-intercourse moments, etc.), it does not happen anymore... And I now feel freer and stronger than ever, albeit my Peyronie's has not improved at all!!

So, please begin this trip as soon as you can, ideally with a good psychiatrist/psychanalist after seeing the behaviourist.

And one last thing: daily extract of gotu kola can help A LOT at the beginning :-)

All the best, and do not worry mate, there really is a way out of this ;-)
- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.