TRANSDERMAL VERAPIMIL - Efficiency & Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

samiam

i was just prescribed the above gel.  im just looking for some feedback to see if anybody out there has used it with positive results???

thanks in advance,

s.r.

LWillisjr

I don't recall anyone having any success with topical verapamil.  
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

j

In 9 months the only thing it reduced was my bank balance.  

Tim468

You posted your question in the right place. Read up here and you will see it is not revered.

Tim
52, Peyronies Disease for 30 years, upward curve and some new lesions.

samiam

thanks for the little bit of imput.  ive just started using the cream so im not sure what is going to happen.  im thinking also, that the only thing ill see is my bank account go lower, but since my insurance is covering 70% of it, ill give it a try since it was prescribed by my urologist.  If anybody has any better ideas that work i would very much like to hear them.  thanks

s.r.

ComeBacKid

Read the report J and I did on topical verapamil, if your insurance is covering it your not getting scammed to badly.  Pentox is $34 a month at walmart, and we've had reports it works, studies show it does, and it is helping me...

Comebackid

samiam

where/how do i find the report you are talking about.  also, is that medicine ure talking about a prescription or over the counter?? thanks

samiam

lojoes

New guy here.  Have had peyronies disease for about 6 months..and OUCH!  My wife and i are trying to research how to alleviate the pain?  I was on 2% verapamil, which was apparently illegally compounded at a pharmacy!  I have noticed my pain during erections is getting worse! I have been through the ultrasound therapy (UNPLEASANT!) and now am trying to get my insurance company to pay for the Verapamil from pdlabs.  Can anyone let me know what their thoughts or success rate is?

j

Thoughts: it's a scam.

Success rate: 0%

Amount it cost me to reach the above conclusions: $2800

ComeBacKid

Read the report J and I wrote, it will answer a lot of your questions.  There are still many unanswered questions regarding topical verapamil, and J, didn't you have a biography of the guy who died who used to make the cream, easterling?  I used every possible combination of the cream, including a local pharmacy version from a compounding pharmacist, all I got were itchy balls and pubic hair, and no improvement.

Comebackid

j

Yes, Jerry Easterling - the patent holder and person behind PDL - did die a couple of years ago.  Obviously PDL continues to market the product.  I was never able to find out much about Easterling personally.  

ComeBacKid

What about that link you sent me J?  Perhaps we should add it to our report.  I still have yet to talk to a significant number of people who claim TV helped them.  I talked to 1 person who claimed it did, and I didn't believe him.

Comebackid

docsmithdc

I HAVE BEEN USING vERAPAMIL 15% FOR ABOUT 4 MOS.I AM GETTING MODEST RESULTS.I AM NOT DEFORMED.MY PROBLEM IS DEPOSITS AND INSTABILITY NEAR THE BASE AND OF COURSE PAIN.

ohno

I think you should really consider getting on pentox if you are not already on it.  

Mel

Thanks for the encouraging words.
The Verapamil was the cream. Supposedly it softens the plaque. From what I`ve read though, it hasn`t been too successful. I`m not really counting on it too much, but who knows.

Mel

N_4_cer

I started using the Verapimil cream on Aug.1,2010.   I was told that the only real 15% cream that works is made in San Antonio, TX. Supposedly, the others cannot manufacture it correctly.  My insurance would not pay a dime on the $1200, 6 month supply.  They said it will relieve pain with erection after 90 days, & that it will take 1 year of sustained use to eliminate the calcium/lump in the shaft. I must apply it twice a day & you cannot use tobacco 4 hours after applying it. When I picked it up, I asked what % of men treated are healed completely after 1 year?  85%!! of the men get rid if Peyronies.  So I quit smoking & I hope it works on me.  

LWillisjr

N_4_cer,

I don't want to burst your hopes but I know of no one who has had any success with topical Verapamil. At best you might get slight relief. Meaning if you have a 40 degree curvature you might relieve it to 30 degrees if you are lucky. But again, we don't know of anyone on the forum who has had success with this.

Try reading the information on this site regarding traction, VED's, meds such as Trental, etc. These seem to have more related success stories.

Les
My History

Trance

I saw my uro couple days ago. I left feeling pretty defeated.  He only recommended verapamil cream after I initially suggested it.  He says he will give me a prescription if I find someone who sells it!  Anyone have any experience with cream?  Where can I get it?  Dr. also says he will get me a prescription for a traction device if I wanna try that. I do not have pain and get erect on demand, so to speak! I just want to get rid of the upward curve.  Anybody in the same condition who has or is noticing success.
Thanks,
Trance

Skjaldborg

Offhand, I can't think of anyone who has had success from verapamil. I suggest getting a prescription for Pentox, which will help reduce pain and inflammation. Pentox may not help curvature as it is now, but evidence suggests that it can keep it from getting worse. I used pentox and my pain went away within 1-2 months. I started feeling less pain in a matter of weeks on the drug.

For curvature reduction, read up on VEDs. My impression from the forum is that more people have success with VEDs than traction. Traction requires long periods of wearing the device where the protocol for VED can be completed in 20-30 minutes per day.

Just my impressions. Good luck.

Skjald

depressedpns

What a bummer.  A urologist I saw recommended the stuff, but I went for a while without having extra money for it.  During that time I found a lot of information that makes it sound like the stuff doesn't really help the disease.  The companies literature made it sound like a miracle drug though.

I'm wondering what the truth about it is.  Anyone have confidence in stating what they believe it to be?

I'm really frustrated with my penis related issues and will take things as far as I need to in order to get the health I desire.  One of the things I had in mind to do was review the PDLabs literature again (last time was over a year ago I think), see what scientist / researcher names I find, then look into contacting some of them.

This brings me to one other related question.  Does anyone have advice for good resources (people, companies, websites, whatever) related to scientific research that has led to or could lead to advances in urological healing treatment?

DT48

I used verapamil from PDLabs for 6 months twice a day. I might as well have been applying water to myself for all the good it did. My Uro prescribed this because I honestly don't believe he really knew what to do. When I went back to him he referred me to a Denver Surgeon and he told me that stuff was really no good. He had never heard anyone who has had any success with it. Luckily my insurance covered most of it, but if yours won't then I wouldn't waste the money. It's very expensive. PDLabs make you believe they are the only ones that make the true stuff and all others are fake. They are laughing all the way to the bank taking advantage of people like you and me that don't know any better.  

depressedpns

Quote from: DT48 on October 07, 2010, 09:42:24 PM
I used verapamil from PDLabs for 6 months twice a day. I might as well have been applying water to myself for all the good it did. My Uro prescribed this because I honestly don't believe he really knew what to do. When I went back to him he referred me to a Denver Surgeon and he told me that stuff was really no good. He had never heard anyone who has had any success with it. Luckily my insurance covered most of it, but if yours won't then I wouldn't waste the money. It's very expensive. PDLabs make you believe they are the only ones that make the true stuff and all others are fake. They are laughing all the way to the bank taking advantage of people like you and me that don't know any better.

That's crazy that they could just be a scam company.  I remember they even published multiple PDF's that looked credible.  I've wondered about contacting research scientists whose names are mentioned and stuff.  Sounds like maybe a perfect case for a lawsuit against PDLabs.

DT48

Yes, I've wondered about the lawsuit issue myself. However, in this day and age who has the time or money? Hopefully others reading this can take this info and do more research instead of acting on impulse.

depressedpns

Quote from: DT48 on October 09, 2010, 10:50:27 AM
Yes, I've wondered about the lawsuit issue myself. However, in this day and age who has the time or money? Hopefully others reading this can take this info and do more research instead of acting on impulse.

With the price they charge and the extent to which their claims sound fraudulent, it actually sounds perfect for an attorney to investigate.  Doesn't seem like it would cost anyone else time or money.

DT48

totally agree there, I was thinking about myself or some other ordinary joe.

ComeBacKid

Have you guys seen J and I's report on PDLabs?

https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,328.0.html

I've heard from so many people that said it did nothing I can't believe truthfully it works at all, I've talked to 1 guy that I can remember that said it helped him, and it could of been spontaneous resolution.  Thats 1 out of about 100 guys.  I'd like to hope the drug just didn't work, and was an honest attempt to help peyronies sufferers, and not planned up scam, where they knew it didn't work, would of been nice to see and hear from the doctors who did the supposed study. However with the owner of PDLabs recently passed away, I'm not going to pile on and kick a dead man while hes down.  Use caution, and skepticism in your search for peyronies results, and dont' be afraid to ask tough questions.

Regarding a lawsuit, with the owner dead I don't know how that would work, I also remember something like the patent was "in the process" of being confirmed or tested by the FDA, I wonder what ever happened with that.  I don't have the time since I've recently switched from investigative reporter to mass mailer and recruiter.  Might be interesting for someone to pick up the ball and do some homework on that to give us an update.  What happened to the characters in the report, where are they now, is the website still up, are they still selling the product, how is FDA approval coming along?  As for a lawsuit, I'm sure they could dream up a defense, it always seems like the people who deserve to win money don't, and the people that don't, do.  If there are no assets in the company a lawsuit would be a waste of money, and I don't know if a lawyer would take the case on a contingency fee, or charge you a flat rate.  I wouldn't even waste time checking into that.

Comebackid

crashbandit

I just got a prescription for verpamil cream 8% myself from the doctor after he refused me trental. Is this stuff even worth the effort? How does it work and what can it help with the pain?
Cheers

MikeSmith0

A doctor told me that there was a study where the gel was applied to the penis before surgery -- before the surgeons made the incision to deglove the penis -- to test the tunica for the gel...and discovered none had been absorbed.  They believe that the gel was absorbed by the abundance of capalaries on the surface of the skin, and that the tunica - which is a relatively thick piece of tissue with limited "absorbing" capabilities - didn't take in any Verapamil.  Just 1 study though, but that's why a lot of docs are not enthusiastic about this.

crashbandit

I got the 8% verapimil cream and it says to only apply it twice a day on the bottle. Is it ok to apply it like 4 or 5 times a day? That would kind of equal 15% TV perhaps...
Cheers

darroldk

I have used the transdermal Verapamil Gel 15% from Peyronies Disease labs in San Antonio for 6 months.
I plan to finish 12 months.  I use it as prescribed, so it is basically always on me.
The changes in curvature are supposed to happen in the 2nd 6 months.
I have also been using alternative meds from Peyronie's Disease Institute for over a year.
I will post again if I have any progress.
The scars are pretty impossible to find now, but the curvature hasn't improved.
darroldk

ComeBacKid

I've only talked to one person in the history of all the boards I've been on who said topical verapamil helped them, and the guy didn't seem right in the head.  The study J and I did lead to numerous questions regarding PDLabs and their honesty, and left many unanswered questions regarding them.  I was told different things everytime I phoned that place, and all the major urologists discount that topical verapamil will work, one study was done showing it didn't even make it past the skin layer to even have a chance at working.  I tried pdlabs version, I tried a local compound pharmacist's version, none work.  When you call pdlabs and tell them it doesn't work they will probably tell you to double the doses and buy more.  They haven't refuted any claims against them, and won't provide the doctor's name who did the original study showing 85% improvement.  I've concluded they are either flatout lieing, or the worst marketers of a product EVER cause they are so out of touch with Public Relations, I doubt its the latter.... With many insurance companies not covering this it makes it costly for most of our members unelss you have alot of extra cash laying around.  There is still not one study showing verapamil dissolves or cures a plaque at all, I still don't know why some doctors are on a verapamil kick....  What is PDlabs selling this stuff for a month now?  

Comebackid

darroldk

I'm in month 9 out of 12.  This is the period where supposedly a change in curvature can happen.  I am willing to try it for a year.
My insurance only pays about 30%.  I am very good about sticking with the treatment.  No change in curvature yet, but it seems that when semi-erect I look normal, and I don't think that used to be true.  There is an eval on this site which I will complete when I am done.
I am only trying non-invasive things as even doctors aren't sure that invasive procedures and contraptions don't make it worse.
Good luck with your decision.
darroldk

crashbandit

Quote from: darroldk on March 10, 2011, 05:13:57 PM
I'm in month 9 out of 12.  This is the period where supposedly a change in curvature can happen.  I am willing to try it for a year.
My insurance only pays about 30%.  I am very good about sticking with the treatment.  No change in curvature yet, but it seems that when semi-erect I look normal, and I don't think that used to be true.  There is an eval on this site which I will complete when I am done.
I am only trying non-invasive things as even doctors aren't sure that invasive procedures and contraptions don't make it worse.
Good luck with your decision.

Good stuff, keep us informed. I don't have a curve when erect, just in the flaccid, semi state and pain. But if I can stay away from the curve when erect and improve flaccid curve and pain then I will think my 8% TV had somethign to do with it.
Cheers

MickZ

Hi All,

I'm at the end of month 2 of 12 and just ordered my supply for month 3. I wish I would have found this site before I started the Verapamil 15% Gel.
After Reading ComebackKid's report I don't think I would have started the Verapamil without further research. My insurance company pays $87.00 dollars of the $270.00.
I feel if I stop using the Verapamil I will alway wonder "what if it did work" But If I continue for the next 10 months and it does nothing I'll be pissed that I wasted $2,400.00 dollars.
What are some of your thoughts on this? If I stop using Verapamil now to research other options can I start the Verapamil again if for some reason it is determined to actually work.
I believe Comeback Kids report more than PDlabs. They also have been telling me different things when I ask questions.
What are my other options? Can anyone tell me if anything worked for them? I just joined this forum and have not had time to read many posts yet.

Thanks,

crashbandit

Yea, That's a lot of money for osmething that dosen't have much behind it. Nobody really believes in it around here. The studies are weak I think, hence why nobody likes it around the forum. If you were me, I would not waste the $2,400. But if you have nothing but cash sitting around, but by the sounds of it you don't, then why not. I don't think it can hurt you.

Are you on pentox or ubiquinol? There's lots of other treatments that are far better and far cheaper.
Cheers

pvpey

New to group, have been using Verapamil Ointment twice daily for approximately 5 months with minimal results. I have no pain and can still function albeit with upward curve. Was told it could take up to 12 months to show noticeable results. Urologist is suggesting Verapamil injections now. Anybody have experience?

LWillisjr

Experience here shows little if any benefit from Verapmil Cream.

There is a study published by Dr. Levine regarding the use of Verapamil injections along with traction and Pentox.
My History

pvpey

Quote from: lwillisjr on May 16, 2011, 03:44:31 PM
Experience here shows little if any benefit from Verapmil Cream.

There is a study published by Dr. Levine regarding the use of Verapamil injections along with traction and Pentox.

I don't know of Dr. Levine etc.. just what I've read with regards to the Mayo Clinic and others about Verapamil. Posted another thread to see if anyone here has had the injections and results.

In a nutshell, what was the prognosis with the injections, traction and Pentox?

pvpey

Uro stopped mine after 6 months with minimal results if any and the overall condition progressed (was supposed to use for 12 months to show progress according to treatment schedule). Scar tissue seemed softer, but that was probably just wishful thinking on my part. Curvature worsened.

I would not waste the time or money. Cost me about $500 to learn this lesson. Now he wants to try VI shots. We have much to discuss first though.

pvpey

As I previously posted I recently stopped using the 15% Verapamil compound about a week ago. I think that my perception that it somehow softened some plaque and scar tissue was more imaginary than anything else. Especially since the curvature has increased and I can feel the scar tissue easily now only a week after I stopped using it. Maybe it was pyschological and just the fact that I was trying something gave me false hopes. I have to say now that I doubt Transdermal Verapamil has any real physical effect good or bad. Maybe I'm giving up halfway through the race, but where's the data other than the manufacturer's pamphlet. My uro even wants to move forward.

However, if you must use it and decide for yourself you can at least buy it for less than what PDLabs sells it for. I got mine from University Compounding Pharmacy in San Diego, CA (800-985-8065). Mine was Fed-Exed overnight after paying with card over phone. A 2 month supply ran $130 and 1 month $90. Their pharmacists are also pretty well informed, although probably don't use the stuff themselves.

hunchback

i have used it for over a year. i bought it from pdlabs. they have very good customer service and their pharmacist (a woman) is very knowledgeable.

it is very expensive but my insurance does cover 50% of it (although i would have rather used the money to pay off student loans). the pain did go away in a month and my condition did somewhat improve after 6 months. then i went through an additional hour glass dent on the side, lower down on the left side of the shaft. the pharmacist said it may be a result of the remolding process (whatever). they said to double apply, which my urologist agreed to. they sent me additional cream at no additional cost.

i am more than a year out and have noticed additional improvement. i bought an additional 6 month supply because it is "cheaper" that way. i stopped for a month and am now getting ready to reapply. they gave me enough (at no extra cost) to double apply 3 times a day.

so i have thought several things. what if the results i saw would have happened anyway without this mess smeared on me (forcing me to use baking powder to reduce itching on my testicles)? what if it is an expensive scam like most drug companies preying on desperate people? what if i gave up this "cure" and die someday and find out it actually did make a difference?

i didn't read this forum until recently. maybe i wouldn't have spent the money after reading the comments below. i have serious doubts about all treatments and then look at the irony of the fact that i feel like my life is over in some ways, yet i started taking a vitamin regimen to treat this that potentially will prolong my life.

people buy lottery tickets knowing they won't win, but for a moment they buy a dream for a dollar. in the end i can say i tried it and bought some measure of hope.

fubar

Hate to create a monster but? Why spend money on a dream? Save money for a reallity.I could rub my body with snake oil but what is the point?

Your body is water proof! Nothing is made to penitrate and resolve any issue in your body.Awesome idea yet to happen.

Fubar

hunchback

Quote from: fubar on November 06, 2011, 10:10:21 AM
Hate to create a monster but? Why spend money on a dream? Save money for a reallity.I could rub my body with snake oil but what is the point?

Your body is water proof! Nothing is made to penitrate and resolve any issue in your body.Awesome idea yet to happen.

Fubar

ok my guess is they use dmso or some sort of carrier in their product that WILL penetrate.

in my rare moments of doubt i have thought: why not go buy some bag balm for $5, dissolve it along with micronized verapamil in dmso for $10, and make a months supply for next to nothing?

i needed hope at that place in time, even if it was a placebo. that goop was a constant reminder that i was doing something in a situation where i felt powerless.

i could just have easily spent that money on $400/month of counseling. sometimes all i have is hope.

hunchback

Quote from: hunchback on November 06, 2011, 09:04:35 AM
it is very expensive but my insurance does cover 50% of it
apparently there was a change in prescription laws or something. my insurance will no longer pay for this type of medication unless the company releases the ingredients and there costs. I called the company who said they would send me a copy of the ingredients. their customer service wasn't as friend this time and i still don't have a list after about a month.

I only saw minor changes in curvature during the use of this product. i do think it works, however the best results i had out of everything i have tried was after i started doing VED therapy.

cs65

Just picked up my first tube of topical verapimil gel.  I know that his not proven to be effective, but it's one of my last hopes before considering surgery after 6 years of this disease.  I'll let you all know what kind of results I see.

funnyfarm

Great, I would love hear about any changes you notice with the gel, positive or negative.  Good Luck !!
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

james1947

cs65

Sorry to read that nothing has helped you all those years.
You still have pain? What Dr. Levine said in your appointment with him back in 2011? Did he prescribed you some treatment?

James
Age 71, Peyronies from Jan 2009 following penis fracture during sex. Severe ED.
Lost 2" length and a lot of girth. Late start, still VED, Cialis & Pentox helped. Prostate surgery 2014.
Got amazing support on the forum

cs65

Thanks James.  Sorry for not responding sooner.  Flew to Chicago to see Dr. Levine in 2011.  Ultrasound revealed small calcified plaque.  Dr. Levine suggested verapamil injections, and I received first injection there.  However, after further consideration, I decided not to proceed with additional VI as I'm afraid of further damage.

Meanwhile, pain level (especially flaccid pain) has increased over past three months.  Saw a new urologist near my home a couple of weeks ago.  Upon examination, he noticed some signficant scar tissue, especially in the most painful areas up and down left side of shaft.  He prescribed Verapamil gel, which I've been using now for about a week.  I was able to get the gel from a local compounding pharmacy.  Applying twice per day.

For the first few days after using the gel, my flaccid pain decreased by about 75%, which I considered a remarkably pleasant surprise (maybe psychological?).  Just has some minor skin irritation, which I treated with some Cortizone cream.  However, a couple of days ago, had some delicate sexual activity with wife, and I must've overdone it, because flaccid pain has now increased again.  Penis is just so fragile that any type of even minor actvity results in a severe pain flare-up.

Every doctor I've seen have been baffled by the flaccid pain, which is quite severe at times. I'll keep everyone updated on positive/negative results from using the gel.

cs65

Forgot to mention also that one month's supply of the gel only cost me $10 out-of-pocket.  Insurance picked up the rest.  I probably wouldn't pay much more than that out-of-pocket given the unsatisfactory results posted.