Starting Xiaflex

Previous topic - Next topic

alec

The first injections have been scheduled in two weeks and I wonder how to prepare myself.

Will it hurt?
How to take care of pain afterwards?
When to start manual modelling, Ved or traction?
What else to ask?

30yrs, diagnosed in feb. 2018 after possible injury (not sure), 4 plaques, 4 dents, S-surve, 30° right/45° up curve, tingle in the legs, sometimes penile pain an depressed.

WhatNext81

Did your dr go over this with you at your consultation?
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

alec

Yes, but I would like to find out more about others experiences before. I always have the feel docotors do not know as much about pain as patients... he proboably never done it, right?
30yrs, diagnosed in feb. 2018 after possible injury (not sure), 4 plaques, 4 dents, S-surve, 30° right/45° up curve, tingle in the legs, sometimes penile pain an depressed.

TonySa

For me the anesthetic in hection was the mist uncomfortable.  Others who don't have that injection gave found the Xiaflex anywhere from uncomforrabke to painful but tolerable. Occasionally, afterwards there is bruising and pain again anywhere from tolerable to rearely painful and needing pain meds.  Personally I've found it from no pain to other injections with bruising and discomfort but not really painful.  I'd ask if they're going to give you a numbing injection first.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

alec

Yes, I wonder why they give something for pain/numbing before. I once had an injection for an erection, which I do not remember as painful. Why should the Xiaflex be painful? Because it hits the plaque? Maybe.

@Tsanchez12369
So would you recommend to ask for a numbing-shot or not?

TonySa

PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

alec

One more question I have:

Would the Uro have to inject something for an erection before if he wants to inject Xiaflex ultrasound supported?

TonySa

Mine induces an erection first to see where to inject.  Maybe not if ultrasound guided.

alec

And then Xiaflex was injected in the erected or flaccid penis?

WhatNext81

I never had a numbing shot. It could be because I traveled and had each cycle done within roughly 24hrs. Less needles the better in my case? Not sure as I never asked. Some days I had multiple xialflex injections. That might be what some refer to as microinjections?

Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

sutty

Hi there.  Here is my advise and eexperience.  First I received a shot to induce an erection.   This slightly burned but was tolerable.  The doctor used this identify the point of inflection and to mark where he would target the injection.  After marking he injected again to take the erection away. This was slightly more uncomfortable than the other as he needed to leave the needle in longer.  It also made me cold for some reason.   Then he went in with the Xiaflex shot.  This was not fun as you might imagine but really, nothing  to worry about.  It is over quickly. I would skip the numbing shots.  The fewer needles the better.   I echo the other comments re: wrapping, etc.  this helped a lot.    
52, 8 years, Married, 30 degree curve, Verapamil/traction/Xiaflex

WhatNext81

Yes! Wrapping and make sure to leave the wrap on in the shower. Change it after the shower.  

kenh0027

I have had 2 treatments of Xiaflex so far and have had no change in the curve at all.How long has it taken others to start seeing results?

sutty

By two treatments do you mean two rounds or the second shot of the first round?

alec

Today I got the first injection of two infections. It is the first round. I was really nervous, but it was not painful. I would describe it as uncomfortable and stressful. The bruising seems to be strong! :'-( I wonder if it will hurt when the numbing shot wears off...

how to take care of bruising?

kenh0027

two cycles (4 shots)i have the third cycle next week.

sutty

The main thing for bruising that I have found helpful is having the doctor wrap you after the shot. It helped me a lot.  As for results, the main thing that I learned is the you need to be aggressive with the modeling.   Just like the doctor does when you have the post shot in office modeling.  Do as much as you feel you can't safely tolerate. The medicine loosens up the plaque but you need to really stretch it manually I believe.    

LWillisjr

I would always take an ice pack with me and lay it in my lap on the drive home. I think this helped a lot.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

JohnR

50 year old, onset in Feb. '18, diagnosed in Mar '18, 4 rounds of Xiaflex completed, little improvement, mentally overwhelmed...ED issues, major anxiety issues now.